8.01.2005


"So I saw in my dream that the man began to run. Now he had not run far from his own door when his wife and children, perceiving it, began to cry after him to return; but the man put his fingers in his ears, and ran on crying, Life! life! eternal life!"

Our family reading tonight was the beginning of Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan. This quote was interesting to me, the thought that he was resolved, that he saw the need to actually flee, is inspiring. Too many times I find that I have put earthly things in rank above heavenly things. To the end of actually giving in to the temptations of sin.

The point Bunyan is making is straight out of Luke 14:26 which says:

"If any man cometh unto me, and hateth not his own father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

The most important thing is to take up our cross and follow him...

"Whosoever doth not bear his own cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. Luke 14:27"

If you follow the link to the right you can read this in context, which I reccomend.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved Pilgrim's Progress. I have a really antique copy of it and it took me a while to feel smart enough to read it, but I learned so much about it. It's like an "Old School" version of "The Dream Giver". Hope to see more posts about it the further along you read.

05 August, 2005 23:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home